Mental Health Therapist in Charlotte, Matthews NC
Mental health therapy can also help people to improve the quality of their lives by helping them to broaden their outlook on life and view their problems from a heightened perspective. For more information, contact us today or book an appointment online. We are located at 9719 Northeast Parkway, Suite 100 Matthews NC 28105.
Table of Contents:
A therapist is a professionally trained mental health specialist that helps people who are experiencing mental health problems. The role of a therapist is to provide psychotherapy, which is a type of treatment that aims to increase a person’s ability to manage their emotions and cope with life’s challenges. Therapists may work with people who are experiencing a wide variety of issues, including depression, anxiety, trauma, and other mental health concerns. They work with patients of all ages, including children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly.
Mental health therapy is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on the ways in which a person’s thoughts, feelings, memories, and behaviors are connected. This therapy can help people to understand their actions, thoughts, and emotions so they can improve upon them. Mental health therapy is sometimes used for other reasons as well, such as to help people better understand themselves, to cope with stress, and to understand how to improve relationships. Mental health therapy can be used for anything from anxiety or depression to low self-esteem, but it may be used to treat problems such as eating disorders, drug and alcohol abuse, and other mental health conditions.
Common forms of mental health therapy include:
• Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
• Existential therapy
• Family therapy
• Art therapy
• Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
Mental health therapy is incredibly versatile and can benefit just about anyone, regardless of age, medical background, or profession. Mental health challenges do not need to be considered serious to seek out a therapist; even people with minute or mundane problems can benefit from professional therapy. Some people visit a therapist for support and guidance in a judgment-free setting, while others pursue therapy to help manage a diagnosed mental illness.
Therapy is known to help the following:
• Ongoing conflicts with family or friends
• Feeling isolated or alone
• Having trouble focusing on daily tasks
• Using a substance to cope with issues
• Thinking about harming oneself or others
It can also help in the following circumstances:
• Relationship difficulties
• Coping with anxiety or depression
• Needing more confidence in professional/personal life
• Needing an unbiased opinion on a difficult decision
During mental health therapy, the mental health professional will talk with the patient and develop a picture of the way they feel, reason, think and remember. A professional can diagnose a number of mental disorders through a series of questions and physical tests, including:
• Depression and mood disorders
• Anxiety disorders
• Eating disorders
• Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
• Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
• Substance abuse and addictive disorders
• Bipolar disorder
• Schizophrenia and psychotic disorders
However, mental health therapy may not involve a diagnosis but instead focus on talking through the patient’s problems, worries, and concerns. Several studies have shown that people who receive mental health therapy on a regular basis have a reduction in symptoms and an improvement in overall well-being.
Mental health therapy can help someone:
• Understand their feelings
• Identify issues that affect their mental health
• Discover ways to overcome them
• Learn new skills and coping strategies
• Set goals for personal growth
• Learn more about mental health conditions
It can also help with these conditions:
• Grief or loss
• Anger management
• Eating disorders
• Relationship and family difficulties
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
To improve your mental health, visit the professionals at Reaching Resolution. For more information, contact us today or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 9719 Northeast Parkway, Suite 100 Matthews NC 28105. We serve clients from Matthews NC, Charlotte NC, Mint Hill NC, Indian Trail NC, Pineville NC, and Stallings NC.