Rehabilitation Counselor in Charlotte, Matthews NC
Many different people deal with disabilities of various types, whether they’re physical, emotional, mental, cognitive, or social. These disabilities often impact a person’s ability to carry out their daily tasks with full independence. If you or a loved one have a disability that is impacting your ability to live with full independence, rehabilitation counseling can help. For more information, contact us today or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 9719 Northeast Parkway, Suite 100 Matthews NC 28105.
Table of Contents:
Rehabilitation counselors work with individuals of any age who deal with developmental, emotional, mental, or physical disabilities that impact their ability to live with full independence. These disabilities may have occurred as a result of injury or due to a condition that a person may be born with or acquired later on in life. As such, rehabilitation counselors are trained to help such individuals overcome or manage these hindrances to their independence.
Some of the ways that a rehabilitation counselor can help individuals find greater independence in their lives are:
• Arranging medical care
• Assisting with job placements
• Career counseling
• Offering guidance in the school to work on transition
• Developing healthy coping strategies for managing serious injuries
• Setting and achieving goals for daily living, possibly involving personal hygiene, diet, work or school accomplishments, or social activities
• Evaluating your strengths and barriers to independence or living a more comfortable and productive life so they can identify strategies to overcome those barriers
• Educating patients on assistive technologies to help them navigate daily tasks easier
This list is not exhaustive, as rehabilitation counselors can help individuals dealing with different hindrances to independent living in many other ways, as well. For example, rehabilitation counselors can also help people struggling with addiction or mental health concerns. They also are known for assisting veterans in their search for employment, independent living, and mental wellness.
There are several types of rehabilitation counseling. The four main types of rehabilitation counseling include:
• Clinical rehabilitation counseling: Clinical rehabilitation counselors work in hospital environments or rehabilitation centers and focus on the psychosocial impacts of a person’s disability. As such, they aim to help individuals with disabilities achieve mental wellness and discover strategies for achieving their goals in social settings and workplace environments.
• College counselors: Many colleges employ college disability counselors whose primary job is to ensure students with disabilities are accommodated well. These college counselors advocate for students with disabilities to ensure they have adequate computer access and have special needs met like assisted listening devices or large-print software. College counselors work with students with disabilities to understand their unique needs and ensure they are accommodated for.
• Social service programs: In social service programs, rehabilitation counselors manage various staff who work with individuals dealing with disabilities, operating in a community support and advocacy role.
• Vocational programs: Rehabilitation counselors who work in vocational programs focus on helping individuals with disabilities return to work or find meaningful employment. This may involve career counseling or advocating on behalf of such individuals to ensure their employers make necessary modifications to their workplace environment so they can be successful in their role.
Rehabilitation counseling is professional disciplines where certified therapists are trained to help individuals with various disabilities achieve independence and meaningful engagement in their community, workplace, and general life.
No matter your age or the type of disability you or your loved one are dealing with, rehabilitation counseling is available as a resource for you to use. At Reaching Resolution, our clinical therapists would be delighted to help you overcome barriers and achieve greater independence in your life. For an appointment with one of our clinical therapists or more information about our rehabilitation counseling services, call us today or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 9719 Northeast Parkway, Suite 100 Matthews NC 28105. We serve patients from Matthews NC, Charlotte NC, Waxhaw NC, Midland NC, Fairview NC, Monroe NC, Mint Hill NC, Indian Trail NC, Pineville NC, and Stallings NC.